Friday, October 28, 2011

Autumn Glory

I think fall is my new favorite season. We don’t get enough snow here in Virginia to really enjoy winter. At our new house we are surrounded by trees. They have turned bright yellows, reds and oranges. So pretty!

Since we live only an hour from the Shenandoah Mountains, we took a day trip to drive Skyline Drive.



Of course we had to take the top down and enjoy the crisp fall weather!  The roads curved from one side of the mountain to the other.

Along the road there are pull off places to take in the views. 

We hike the Stoney Man trail.  The trail was kind of boring.  Until you get to the end and see THIS:

We climbed out to the edge of the rocks and took in the view.  You could see for a few miles in each direction.  The colors looked fabulous from up here.

Another trail we took was Dark Hollow Falls trail.  This is a pretty strenuous trail (for me).  It took you along a small creek all the way to the bottom of the falls.  You get down there and then realize you have to climb ALL the way back up.  UGH!  I exercise at least four times a week and this trail kicked my behind.

Thank goodness I have an understanding hubby who lets me stop and rest.  Thanks BABE! 

We drove 50 miles of the 109 miles in the park.  Maybe next year we can cover the next 50???   On the way out of the park we saw this black bear.  It was far away, but I got a pretty good shot with my zoom! 
Thanks for stopping by………………………..

No comments: